Friday, July 27, 2007

Candy Bars

I was on the train yesterday and a kid gets on and announces that he is selling candy bars. He says that he could be robbing people but he thought selling candy bars was better. Of course the implication was that if selling candy bars didn't go well he would start robbing people. If I asked you to identify this kids race do you think you could?

Of course you could, only a black kid would use this line. Do black kids actually feel this way or are they just using a public perception. Either way this is a bad thing. We need to move beyond this. I didn't buy any candy.

I got a comment about my last blog that was interesting. First of all Macinac is in Michigan, not upstate New York. I suspect the folks in Michigan hate New Yorkers almost as much as those in upstate NY, but I find it hard to believe that someone would know I was a New Yorker and purposely have their dog take a dump in front of me. It wouldn't work anyways because like all New Yorkers I walk around looking at my feet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the mix-up Ed. My point wasn't that she purposefully had the dog take a dump in front of you because you were a New Yorker per se instead I sought to imply that perhaps this was a reaction that some people tend to hav toward more affluent outsiders. You know, like in "Dirty Dancing?" This might sound silly on the face of it, but I've noticed this type of reaction sometimes from people. If she was a tourist herself, then obviously I'm just reading too much into the thing. Sorry about the geography mix-up.
Anyway, I enjoy your blog, you're very honest, insightful, and courageous. I too agree with you on the point that young black men are subtly threatening us as a way of selling candy. I find that in my mind, some kids are being honest and really see this as an alternative to robbing. This type of activity is called a hustle, not because of any issues of illegal conduct though. It's called a hustle because it's a way of making something out of nothing. Borrow some money from someone, buy some candy, sell the candy, repay the money, reap the profits with "no money down." See how people can call it a hustle? In the past being a hustler was an insult, now it's a badge of honor, you're a survivor, you're going to make that money one way or another. Of course, others kids will never resort to illegal activities, but claiming that you would gets you respect on the streets. Hmm, much can be said about this and our educational system...what do you think Ed?

Anonymous said...

hey ed i don't know if you need a job or not, but they are looking for an APScience at laguardia h.s.
are you looking for a job? good luck,life is short,be happy.

Anonymous said...

I think they're involve in some sort of scam. I heard that line used by many kids.

They used to use to say that they're selling candies for their basketball team, and now they're saying that they're not selling it for the basketball team. I think they're all in some organized scam.