Saturday, August 18, 2007

Carl Rove


I see that Carl Rove has resigned. I guess that Carl was the master at telling lies and therefore convincing a proportion of the population that the lies were true. I think something like 40% of America still thinks that Saddam Hussein had something to do with 9/11. I suppose in some small way that this happened to me. The principal was able to file charges against me that were lies. The lies were thrown out of court, but a certain percentage of the population believe them and never let go of their belief.

I was reminded of this recently when someone commented on my blog about me being investigated for fixing Regents grades. This never happened, but I suppose it is the lie that matters not the truth. I sometimes feel that I am a boy scout when it comes to things like changing grades or lying about other people. I find it hard to even imagine doing this. I am always shocked when I hear of others doing things like this. It just seems like something you should not do. It would never even think of changing a Regents grade. I suppose I talk about grades because I would rather change the system than change a student's grade.

My argument with grades is with the attempt to make them precise. Regents' grades are given in discreet numerical units. The problem is that people see this as an accurate measure of a student's abilities. Even the people designing the test would not claim that this was so. I doubt if these grades are repeatable closer than 5 or 10 points. In other words if you gave a student 2 chemistry Regents would they score the exact same score or would they just get in the same range.

If I get on a scale this morning and I weigh myself I will get a clear number. If I go to the doctor an hour from now and weigh myself again I will probably get the same number (assuming the two scales are working). This happens because scales are scientific instruments capable of accurately measuring a persons weight. Regents do not work that way and never will. Regents only give you a range. (For my science readers I realize that the two scales will never read exactly the same number. Even scales have errors)

When we tell a student they received a 72 on a regents we seem to be making a statement that is not true. There is probably no difference between a 72 and a 77. We need to stop pretending that teaching is an exact science. This is why I feel that we should go to a system of letter grades. It will change the way we think about kids intellectual abilities. We should be grouping kids into much broader categories.

Teachers have always used class participation as a factor in grading. This is a huge factor in creating grade inaccuracy. If we are making a statement about a kids ability to succeed in life or to do something brilliant you can find that almost all research shows that we consistently miss the most brilliant students. This happens partially because of this class participation component. Class participation usually means who fits the teachers model of a good student. This model rarely has anything to do with what really brilliant kids do.

The bottom line is have grades helped students realize what their abilities are or have they hurt kids by either giving them a false sense of how good they are or by convincing them that they are failures when they are not.

The image on the top was taken with a camera I just built. The camera takes stereo digital images. If you want to see it in stereo and you look at it while crossing your eyes so that your right eye looks at the left image and your left eye the right image you will see it in 3-D.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you still have not answered the idea of responsibility that you are instilling (or trying to instill) in a student. If a "bright" or "intelligent" student does no homework assigned, should they pass, simply because you deem them too "intelligent" for number grades? Showing up is not enough. The student is not just being taught english, ss, math, science. We are also trying to teach them discipline, hopefully. I know i am. The problem with the letter grade is that it is too generic. The student that gets a good class part. grade is usually the same student that showed up most days and did their homework most of the time. It is very funny how those things usually correlate. I agree that not all teachers do it that way, they have their favorites, but I think most teachers I know do it that way. So, in closing, a student who is doing thier work on a consistent basis SHOULD feel an "inflated" sense of self worth, as you put it. And a student that is not doing thier work should feel as if they are inferior, because indeed in this setting they are, no matter how intelligent. Because I can't always measure who is "intelligent" and who is not, but I CAN measure who shows up and hands in work, and who doesn't. Again, I tend to agree with most of your points most of the time, but on this one I think you are way off.

Anonymous said...

E,
I periodically weed through your maniacal ravening, ;) perhaps my mind is too small to understand the ambiguity of not saying what it is we all really want someone to say! I no longer work at our former school, so I am kind of out of touch with mutual friends. Send me an email and let me know where you are… I truly believe that what ever school you are in is better for it…keep in touch!
PS: What ever happened to my wall sculpture???

Anonymous said...

Ed, you mean someone accused you of something you didn't do? Well it wouldn't be the first time.